01. Which of the following configuration files does the logrotate program consult for its settings?
02. Ordinary users report being unable to log onto a computer, but root has no problems doing so. What might you check to explain this situation?
a) A misbehaving syslogd daemon
b) A login process that's running as root
c) The presence of an /etc/nologin file
d) The presence of an SUID bit on /bin/login
e) Inappropriate use of shadow passwords
03. Which of the following summarizes the organization of the X configuration file?
a) The file contains multiple sections, one for each screen. Each section includes subsections for individual components (keyboard, video card, and so on).
b) Configuration options are entered in any order desired. Options relating to specific components (keyboard, video card, and so on) may be interspersed.
c) The file begins with a summary of individual screens. Configuration options are preceded by a code word indicating the screen to which they apply.
d) The file is broken into sections, one or more for each component (keyboard, video card, and so on). The file also has one or more sections that define how to combine the main sections.
e) The file is a rare binary configuration file that must be accessed using SQL database tools.
04. In what environment variable is the current working directory stored?
05. Which of the following tasks are most likely to be handled by a cron job?
a) Starting an important server when the computer boots
b) Finding and deleting old temporary files
c) Scripting supervised account creation
d) Monitoring disk partition space status and emailing a report
e) Sending files to a printer in an orderly manner
06. How can you learn what programs are currently accessing the network on a Linux system?
a) Type ifconfig -p eth0.
b) Examine /proc/network/programs.
c) Type netstat -p.
d) Examine /etc/xinetd.conf.
e) Type dmesg | less.
07. What is an advantage of a font server?
a) It provides faster font displays than are otherwise possible.
b) It can simplify font maintenance on a network with many X servers.
c) It's the only means of providing TrueType support for XFree86 4.x.
d) It enables the computer to turn a bitmapped display into an ASCII text file.
e) It enables X to use font smoothing, which isn't possible with core fonts.
08. Which environment variable stores the format for the command prompt?
e) None of these variables store the format for the command prompt.
09. For best SSH server security, how should you set the Protocol option in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?
a) Protocol 1
b) Protocol 2
c) Protocol 1, 2
d) Protocol 2, 1
e) Protocol *
10. Which of the following entries are found in the /etc/hosts file?
a) Mappings of IP addresses to hostnames
b) A list of hosts allowed to access this one remotely
c) A list of users allowed to access this host remotely
d) Passwords for remote web administration
e) A list of port numbers and their associated protocols